Course Date and Location
The course will be held at Marist North Harbour Rugby Club, Stadium Drive, Albany on the 14th of March, 2018.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Perform maintenance activities on synthetic sports fields
- Carry out performance testing to establish if identified performance standards have been met
- Write-up maintenance actions and performance tests that have been carried out
An indicative schedule for the course is as follows:
- The importance of correct maintenance and maintenance schedules
- Manual maintenance tasks, such as: litter removal, removing animal waste, cleaning up spills, refilling high-wear areas, removing temporary line markings
- Mechanised maintenance, such as: drab-brushing, rotating brush, oscillating brush, weed, moss, algae treatment
- Surface testing, such as: pitch and seam inspection, surface levelness, infill levels
- Writing up maintenance actions and surface tests
- Course wrap-up
Course Delivery and Duration
This course is a full day training course held over nine hours, including morning and afternoon tea breaks, and a lunch break too. The course will be held at the Marist North Harbour Rugby, Club, Stadium Drive, Albany. This is a very practical course and uses a hands-on approach to teaching and learning on a real synthetic sports field.
Course Teaching Staff
This course will be taught by the Institute’s synthetic sports surfaces expert, Spencer Myer. Spencer had a wealth of experience in the design, installation and maintenance of synthetic sports surfaces, and has coordinated the installation of synthetic surfaces in New Zealand and South East Asia.
Equipment that attendees must bring
Each participant is required to bring the following equipment to the course:
- High visibility clothing / vest
- Safety footwear
- Eye protection
- Grade 4 or higher earmuffs
- Pen or pencil
Resources Provided to Participants
Each course participant will be provided with the Maintaining Synthetic Sports fields reference booklet and the New Zealand Sports Turf Institute Certificate of Completion: Maintaining Synthetic Sports Fields.
Related Courses and Programmes
- Maintain synthetic bowling greens
- Maintain synthetic tennis courts
- Advanced maintenance of synthetic sportsfields
- Monitoring synthetic surface maintenance
- Line marking